We hope to publish some Brief histories of famous people associated with Gargrave.
Here are a few names to be going on with.
- St Robert of Newminster – (c.1100–1159), priest and abbot, was possibly born in Gargrave.
- Adam Osgodby – (died 1316), English lawyer and parson of Gargrave. Keeper of the Rolls of Chancery between 1295 to 1316.
- Robert Shute – (died April 1590), Baron of the Exchequer from 1579 to 1586, English judge and politician, was born in Gargrave.
- Robert Story – (1795–1860), known as “the Craven Poet”, lived in Gargrave.
- The Rt Hon Iain Macleod- (1913–1970), British politician and government minister, is buried in Gargrave churchyard.
- The Rt Rev’d Ian Harland- (1932-2008), former Bishop of Lancaster and Carlisle, retired to Gargrave in 2000 and died here in 2008.
- The Bronte Sisters-. We will reveal the connection soon.
- James Bond-. We leave this as a teaser – Could the brother of the man who was the inspiration for James Bond be buried here. Find out soon!
If you would like further information, can provide us with further information, become a contributor to this site or would like to offer your help, please send us your details and a brief description of how you can help via the comments box below.